On this trip we will have three full days at sea and will give you the best opportunity to experience basking sharks and all manner of other wildlife in the area. This tour will try cover all the main natural wonders, tourist spots, cultural heritage and wildlife experiences that exist in the area. 3 days can only cover so much ground too – so if you really want the whole experience and see absolutely everything try our four day trip or week long adventure! You won’t be disappointed!
After meeting and loading the boat we will look at the weather and decide which route to take out to the Isle of Coll. Either via the dramatic cliffs and bays of south Mull or through the picturesque Sound of Mull, looking out for the white tailed sea eagles, seals and porpoises as we go.
The first day we usually head to the crystal clear waters of the islands, where there is a large seal colony. With the water only a few metres deep, the visibility excellent and white sand onto healthy reefs, it’s a stunning area. The ecosystem here is as good as anywhere in Scotland with lots of fish, colourful nudibranchs, crustaceans and anemones.You can see more about this on our seal swimming page which we do run as a day trip.
After a good few hours here, we will spend the rest of the day looking for sharks, now everyone has their kit sorted and used to how things work on the boat. However if the weather is really good and there are lots of sharks we may just go for that option to start with if everyone is experienced! Whilst we are in the area, there are good chances of spotting Minke Whales, Common and Bottlenose Dolphins & Porpoises. There were even a couple of occasions in 2013 when Killer Whales were spotted in this area! In addition there are abundant seabirds, including bonxies, terns, fulmars, razor bills, guillemots and cormorants to name a few.
Today we will fully focus on looking for sharks and being based from Coll we are right at shark central. Depending on the weather we’ll cover all our favourite spots in the area searching for sharks however there are plenty of wildlife watching and snorkelling opportunities in between.
In the late afternoon or evening we have an opportunity to do a shore dive on the wonderful pier, for non-divers we can take a coastal walk looking for the resident otter. This is one of the most productive underwater photography sites in Scotland. It is also very benign for beginner divers and perfect for our overseas clients that want to have Scotland in their logbook! See more information on the dive here.
Depending on Day 1 & 2′s success and weather we will try to include island landings on these days. This can include visiting the island of Lunga to see the puffins (see this link) and also Fingals Cave on the Island of Staffa(see this link). These trips are weather depending and we will change things around to suit the forecast. On the way back we can have a stop in the picturesque village of Tobermory on Mull or head back via the Ross of Mull, passing Iona and the Abbey where there are some fabulously clear water and stunning bays. Of course is everyone wants more shark action we can keep going!
Accommodation & Prices
During this trip we have a complete accommodation facility booked out for our group. Being only 3 years old it is highly suitable for our groups. There are 2 guest rooms which sleep 6 in each, usually we split these into male and female only. There is a huge lounge/kitchen along with 5 separate toilets and 4 separate showers. There is a drying facility for the gear along with outside storage.
There are also B&B options which has double/family room en-suite and also a very nice hotel all within 3-5min walk of each other. So if you prefer a little more privacy and comfort there are options to book this for a surcharge.
- Three Day’s Shark/Seal Swims & Wildlife Boat Tour
- Snorkelling Instruction (if required)
- Two Nights Accommodation
- Knowledgable Guides & Qualified Skipper
- Full Boat Safety Equipment
- Dingy Island Landings
- Kayaking Excursions
- Guided Scuba Dive (for qualified divers) and safety cover.
- Guided Tour of Lunga, Staffa, Iona (weather permitting)
- Photography instruction (if required)
- Hot Drinks & Baking On Board
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides.
What’s not Included;
- Equipment Hire, please contact us if you need equipment. We need suit size and shoe size at the time of booking, size charts on the page.
- Weather or Wildlife Guarantees! Sorry we’d love to be able to do that. But we cover so much ground there is always something to see and being an island archipelago there is always plenty of sheltered water.
- Although we have plenty of snacks onboard, please bring your lunch with you for the first day. There are shops and a cafe on Coll which you can purchase food when you arrive.
- Meals – two choices of restaurant and self catering option at the bunkhouse.
- Oban Accommodation (the night before or after!)– we can book this for you if required.
- Transport to Oban- again we can arrange this for you as necessary, especially for large groups arriving from overseas.
Who can take part;
- For those wanting to swim/snorkel/kayak on the tour, we advise of swimming ability of at least 50-100m required. Along with general fitness to enable boarding a boat via a ladder.
- No scuba or snorkelling experience is required. We are able to conduct snorkelling instruction if you required, however you will enjoy the trip better if you already have some skills. We can do this prior to the tour if required for our certified ‘experience snorkelling’ course.
- Island landings can be rocky and via dingy, so you should be steady on your feet to negotiate rough ground
- Due to fluctuating tide levels we may have to use a a pier ladder to board the vessel in port.
£450 per person
Families – <16′s go at 25% discount.
(Based on Twin/Double – B&B Upgrade £30pppn, Hotel £40pppn – depending on room)
30% Deposit Secures your – spot. Balance due 12 weeks prior to the trip starting. To book on please fill out the booking form here first.
Group discounts available for whole charter if time available.
6-9th July 2015 – Tobermory Based – Sharks & Wildlife.
12-14th August 2015 – Coll Based – Shark Specific (no puffins)