- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Overseas Tours
- Basking Shark Research Trips
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Dive With Spurdog Sharks
- Gift Vouchers
Swim with Killer Whales/Orcas in Norway
Swim with the world’s most intelligent predator in the Arctic Circle! Join us in January on a tour to the coastal fjords of Norway to view the spectacular herring migration which attracts large pods of whales. The trips are arranged to allow both boat based viewing and a strictly supervised swimming encounter. This area has also provided our most stunning Aurora Borealis (Northen Lights) experience to date. Along with the orca, there are chances to see majestic humpbacks, sei and fin whales, along with sea eagles, otters, seals and a variety of seabirds. This is all set against wonderful mountainous landscape and magical sunrise/sunset light.
Our base has very little light pollution and there are excellent opportunities for stunning northern lights pictures. If you’re a bit unsure of how to take great photos, we’ll be on hand to run a workshop.
Our in-water encounters are all snorkelling/swim encounters with the orca, no scuba diving. This means anyone with a basic level of fitness can take part as long as you are comfortable with 100m open water swimming and can get on/ off the boat. The weather can be challenging so the right equipment is a must, along with the right attitude.
We have a maximum of 8 guests per boat. This is a premium wildlife experience and in a challenging environment so we tailor the trips as such. Places are extremely limited so booking well in advance is recommended. We are based on a beautiful island in cosy and comfortable lodge style accommodation; the trip is fully catered (vegetarian included). Rooms are on a single occupancy basis with a reduction for couples or if there are same sex passengers willing to share (dependant on other booking guests).
Winter season is full - keep in touch on social media to see images & video. See here for a blog on our epic November trip.
We will be running tours in November 2018 and January 2019. Details will be finalised by end of January 2018. Please email us to register interest as spaces are very limited and book out quickly given the small groups.
After meeting at the airport we will take the private bus transfer into town which will take around 45min. On arrival we will check into the hotel and you have time to get a late bite to eat before our early start.
Catching the early ferry we will head to our island base in the fjord. After a short bus ride on arrival to our Arctic paradise you will have some time to settle in and prepare your kit for the day.
We'll give you a short briefing before heading out to sea to catch our first glimpse of the whales!
After breakfast our morning meeting will be around 08:30 to brief you on the day's plan. We aim to be leaving around 09:30 and on the water for 10:00 which gives us around four hours searching for whales before dark.
Returning in the mid-afternoon, hot soup will be waiting after braving the elements! You will have some time to review your pictures, have a snooze or even use the sauna.
Our evenings are relxaed after dinner when you can have a drink, join us for some Aurora Borealis photography, evening talks, films and there will be an opportunity for the fortress tour.
On our last day, you will pack and check out in the morning before heading to sea for the day as per our previous days.
On return there will be time for dinner before saying our goodbyes and catching the ferry back to mainland.
Our early bus transfer will take you to the airport for the flight to Oslo.
- Five days whale safari (maximum days possible weather depending. 2-5 days is the previous average)
- One day local boat tour (island wildlife safari with seals and eagles, shipwreck snorkel, coastal village visit, boat tour)
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides during all activities
- Group airport transfer
- Ferry to island base
- Two nights single accommodation on mainland (twin/double accommodation option available for reduction)
- Breakfast at mainland accommodation
- Five nights single accommodation on island (twin/double accommodation option available for reduction)
- Full board whilst at the island
- Northern lights observation and photography workshop (depending on northern lights forecast)
- Evening talks on whale biology, photography and information
- Island fortress historical tour
What's Not Included
- Flights to Harstad
- Equipment - full information on what's required is provided on booking.
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! Sorry!