- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Three Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
- Four Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
- Week Basking Shark and Wildlife Tour
- Spring Basking Sharks & Underwater Photography Diving Week
- Spring Basking Shark & Island Adventures
- St Kilda, Mingulay & Barra Basking Sharks
- Snorkel Diver Course (Snorkelling)
- Four Day Autumn Basking Shark, Wild Swimming & Snorkelling Tour
- Scuba Diving Tours
- Overseas Tours
- Basking Shark Research Trips
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Swim with Killer Whales/Orcas in Norway
Swim with the world’s most intelligent predator in the Arctic Circle! Join us in November on a tour to the coastal fjords of Norway to view the spectacular herring migration which attracts large pods of whales. The trips are arranged to allow both boat based viewing and a strictly supervised swimming encounter. This area has also provided our most stunning Aurora Borealis (Northen Lights) experience to date. Along with the orca, there are chances to see majestic humpbacks, sei and fin whales, sea eagles, otters, seals and a variety of seabirds. This is all set against wonderful mountainous landscape and magical sunrise/sunset light.
Our base has very little light pollution and there are excellent opportunities for stunning northern lights pictures. If you’re a bit unsure of how to take great photos, we’ll be on hand to run a workshop.
Our in-water encounters are all snorkelling/swim encounters with the orca, no scuba diving. This means anyone with a basic level of fitness can take part as long as you are comfortable with 100m open water swimming and can get on/ off the boat. The weather can be challenging so the right equipment is a must, along with the right attitude. We only run a week long tour which gives up to six days on the water and allows enough time to have a good experience. All we have organised and fine tuned over the years is to aide gaining good encounters around changeable whales, winter weather, northern lights and workable daylight!
We have a maximum of 8 guests per boat. This is a premium wildlife experience in a challenging environment so we tailor the trips as such. Places are extremely limited so booking well in advance is recommended. We are based on a beautiful island in cosy and comfortable lodge style accommodation; the trip is fully catered (vegetarian included). There are 7 bedrooms, 6 single rooms and a double/twin room. Cost appox £3700pp single room (click link for further details).
We are running this tour at a very specific time of year unlike other companies who do a much longer season. We only go at the peak time for boh sightings and light! Shortly after we leave the sun doesn't come up above the horizon. That means there is less light for our trips during the day (which is already short) and also less light for taking pictures and cool videos. On the current migration path it increasingly seems like once the sun returns in January the whales have moved on.
Click the booking link below for further details, on prices, dates and availaiblity for November 2020. If the pop up booking window doesn't work then click here for the direct link to the booking page.
We have our last dates available now 19th-26th November 2020
Videos from previous years - lots more on our youtube channel.Booking Info & Prices
After meeting at Alta airport in the evening (20:30 Norwegian flight arrival) we will take the private bus transfer to our remote base which will take around 90 minutes scenic drive through the fjords after a brief stop at the shop if requied.
We will be based in the Skjervoy/Kvænangen area using a large RIB as our boat platform.
Our arrival will be late evening, so it will be a quick check in at the lodge and a hot drink/snack. However our lodge faces north, looking over the fjords towards mountains, it's the perfect backdrop for Northern Lights/Aurora!
After breakfast each day, we'll have a brief morning meeting to advise of the day's plan. We'll then get into all our equipment and make our way a short distance to the boat where we'll head out for our whale safaris. We'll be on the water 4-5 hours before dark.
Returning in the mid-afternoon, hot soup will be waiting after braving the elements! You will have some time to review your pictures or have a snooze.
Our evenings are relaxed after dinner, join us for some Aurora Borealis photography, evening talks, or general banter in the lounge etc.
One of the really cool benefits of being land based at our location (outside of the land comforts of being ashore and warm, easy access for photography and plenty options if the weather is unkind), is the BBQ Hut!
Based on the pier next the boat, one evening we will fire up the coals and have a cosy bbq evening, perhaps with some local mulled wine! This was a really great experience for us in 2019 and a really great way to socialise in the evening after an day on the water!
Our (very) early bus transfer will take you to Alta airport for your flight to Oslo!
- All our experience running tours to northern Norway since 2012
- Six days RIB based whale safari boat trips (maximum days possible weather depending)
- BBQ Hut Evening!
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides during all activities
- Snorkelling assistance & guidance
- Group airport transfer (from specific flights)
- Seven nights accomodation (6 single rooms and 1 shared room available)
- Fully catered (i.e breakfast, lunch, dinner included - vegetarian/ vegan/ no fish options)
- Northern lights observation and photography workshop (depending on northern lights forecast)
- Evening talks on whale biology, photography and information
What's Not Included
- Flights to Alta Airport (connection through Oslo) (meeting point and specific flights are required)
- Equipment - full information on what's required is provided on booking.
- Wildlife guarantees! In many years we've had one (unfortunate) trip that we didn't see the whales when the migration pattern changed but the new fjord location we visited in 2017 & 2019 is very consistant.
- Weather guarantees! We have a maximum of six days and we've found this be enough time to work around the arctic winter and whale sightings! For those super keen then coming two weeks back to back is possible.