- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Overseas Tours
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Floodlight Night Snorkelling
Tour at a Glance
- Exciting Autumn-Winter-Sping Tour!
- Small Groups - Minimum 4 - Max 6 Snorkellers
- £85 per person + hire gear if required
- Unique Experience to see Nocturnal Marine Life
- Starts/Ends Dunstaffnage Marina, Oban
Join us for a completely unique experience during the Autumn, Winter and Spring from Oban!
During the darker months we do a lot of night diving in the shallows where there is a lot of nocturnal life! This the perfect environment for snorkelling at night! The conditions here are calm and benign meaning you can focus on looking where you torch points. As your attention is focussed into this narrow beam you focus on spotting a lot more marine life!
Our floodlights on the boat enhance the experience by having a huge pool of light which creates an amazing atmosphere to the snorkel! Once out of the pool of light we'll try and see some bioluminescence too.
This is a truly unique experience and with only a small group it's a really special trip.
During the Autumn months the water is as warm as the summer as the sea is warmed by the Gulf Stream. The early spring is a little colder in the water however our 8mm hire suits for around an hours snorkel is no problem at all! The main thing is to make sure the fit is good, so make sure you choose your size well from our size charts.Contact us
After a briefing and getting changed into our wetsuits at the marina we'll head out just before sunset! Keep your fingers crossed for clear conditions to catch one of our wonderful west coast sunsets from the water.
Depending on the wind conditions we'll head for the most suitably sheltered spot to anchor the boat and get setup for our night snorkelling. It's getting late in the day, but there is always a chance of seabirds, eagles, porpoises and dolphins on the way.
On dusk we'll rig our underwater lighting system which gives an amazing atmosphere to our snorkel spot and also attracts marine life!
Entering the water supervised by our guide we'll explore the nearby kelp forest reefs and seabed, searching for nocturnal marine life.
Away from the lights we'll also turn our torches off to see a spectacular underwater light show. Bioluminescent plankton will glow in the water creating underwater fireworks!
Our high powered rental torches will last around an hour on full power and we'll head back to the boat for hot chocolate and flapjacks before heading back to the marina. Using the showers and toilets on site you can get cleaned up before heading back into town to celebrate a great trip!
- Knowledgeable guided night snorkel
- Boat trip to nearby snorkel site
- Hot drinks & home baking snack after snorkelling
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
What's Not Included
- Equipment Hire - please see our hire gear page for information. Full 8mm snorkel info and powerful light, £50pp
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! We have a number of sites we use depending on wind direction & condtions.
- Accommodation in Oban - but see some tips here.
- Transport to Oban. See this link to travel to Oban. For international clients or groups we can arrange buses from Edinburgh or Glasgow.