- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Three Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
- Four Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
- Week Basking Shark and Wildlife Tour
- Basking Shark Research Expedition
- Free Diving & Basking Shark Tour
- Spring Basking Sharks & Underwater Photography Diving Week
- Spring Basking Shark & Island Adventures
- St Kilda, Mingulay & Barra Basking Sharks
- Overseas Tours
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Week Basking Shark and Wildlife Tour
Tour At A Glance
- Low impact small group guided by marine biologist
- Based on Isle of Coll, Available July & August
- Snorkelling or Boat based passengers
- £1040 per person excluding accommodation
- Pick up from the ferry terminal, Isle of Coll
Our flagship tour and the ultimate mix of adventure, activity and Hebridean wildlife. These trips are organised at the peak shark time and suit photographers, wildlife enthusiasts or those who want to maximise their time in the Hebrides. The tour is focused on basking sharks with a flexible itinerary around the experiences listed below.
Our Week Tours have a high success rate of great encounters. We have amazing wildlife, landscapes and coastline as we are located on the edge of the north Atlantic. This means the weather can be variable and over a week you have the best opportunity to take advantage of the weather windows!
This is the tour we recommend to everyone, we have our longest running success and satisfaction from this trip. Simply speaking it's the best trip to do no question.
Accommodation options are mixed ranging from bunkhouse, self-catering cottages, B&B and Hotels.
The tour runs Saturday to Saturday (Sunday to Friday at Sea - 6 days).
For more booking details and availability click the booking link below. Booking now for 2020, groups enquiries welcome for 2020/2021.
Swim with the second biggest fish in the world! We will look for basking sharks the whole trip and with a week to play with we should have plenty of opportunities. Basking sharks will be the focus of the week with all the other trips fitted in whenever the best conditions occur.
On this trip we visit a very special lagoon, well protected from the wind and one of the sunniest places in the UK! The water here is crystal clear, unpolluted Atlantic Ocean with a white shell sand base, surrounded by fringing kelp forest reefs. This marine paradise holds a large resident seal colony which we snorkel with, holding both common/harbour seals and grey seals. We have other locations throughout the islands that provide opportunities for interaction with these inquisitive mammals.
We will be in an area of rich feeding for many cetacean species. The area is recognised to have importance for harbour porpoises which are seen regularly. Common dolphins are a popular species and frequently bow ride on the boat; sometimes we are lucky to encounter super-pods with hundreds of individuals. The resident bottlenose dolphins are the largest in the world making them a spectacular sight. The minke whale is the most common whale in our waters, sometimes interacting with the boat. If you are really lucky you may encounter the resident orca pod with our favorite being the charismatic John Coe!
We are able to organise evening dives for qualified divers and there are lots of dive sites with excellent visibility. We usually dive at an excellent artificial reef covered in colourful invertebrates which is great for underwater photography. Conditions are usually good with a maximum depth of 10m, white sand seabed and minimal current. If you're a diver then you don't want to miss this opportunity to add the Hebrides to your logbook. See here for details on the dive.
A very popular excursion to puffin island and photographic opportunity not to be missed. Up to 3000 puffins nest on the island along with a variety of other seabirds such as guillemots, razorbills, fulmar and shags. We can also see predatory birds such as skuas (bonxies) and black backed gulls hunting here, sometimes making for heartbreaking viewing! The puffins migrate early in August - book on Week 1, 2 or 3 for the best chance of a puffin encounter.
The famous Fingal's cave! The basalt columns formed from volcanic activity fringe the cliffs of the island and plunge into the water. A great playground for snorkelling around the caves and islands along with landing to explore the interior of the cave. We organise this when there are calm conditions and no-one else around so we can fully enjoy this amazing location!
These bays are AWESOME! We’ll try and visit when the weather is best as the bays have unbelievably clear water and stunning scenery. The coastal photography opportunities here are fantastic and it looks more Caribbean than Scottish! They make a great lunch stop whilst we're out having adventures and are an iconic part of the Hebridean seascape.
If we have some windy weather keeping us on shore, we arrange land tours to explore the island's local wildlife and landscapes. There are fantastic habitats such as sand dunes and machair to explore. Historic castles and standing stones, peat cutting areas and wildlife such as many birds (e.g. white tailed and golden eagles, bonxies, terns, guillemots, fulmars, corncrakes), along with otters, seals and hares. We can even see basking sharks in remote corners of the island and you'll be sure to hear some local stories of island life.
On one afternoon or evening we can visit Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. There are good opportunities to spot white tailed sea eagles on the cliffs here, along with sharks and cetaceans on the way there. It's a great stop for lunch or dinner and there can be opportunities for short coastal walks and we can also organise a whisky tasting at the Tobermory distillery for a wee dram.
Accommodation is based in self catering cottages, bunkhouse, B&B and hotel in the main village on the island. They are a 5 minute walk down to the boat and close to hotel bar & restaurant, cafe and shop. You can buy supplies at the shop, order packed lunches on the island and eat out for dinner. Otherwise you can self cater for the full trip if you prefer.
Room options are:
- Twin/ double share with shared bathroom
- Twin/ double share with en-suite
- Single occupany in a twin/ double with shared bathroom
- Single occupany in a double with en-suite.
We do have rooms reserved on the island during our tours so please contact us in the first instance.
- Six days basking shark and wildlife boat tour
- Accommodation options (additional to tour cost) - details available on request
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides
- Hot drinks and home baking snack after snorkelling
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
- Tanks & weights for diving passengers
What's Not Included
- Equipment Hire - please see here for gear hire.
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! Sorry we’d love to be able to do that but we really believe that our trips give you the best chance of seeing sharks.
- Food - the tour is based on self catering accommodation.
- Travel to the meeting point on the Isle of Coll (ferry information here)