- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Overseas Tours
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Three Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
Tour At A Glance
- Low impact small group guided by marine biologist
- Available August & September
- £540 per person including bunkhouse accommodation
- Pick up from the ferry terminal, Isle of Coll
This basking shark tour is ideal for people who’d like to spend a little more time immersed in the Hebrides. We have three full days at sea giving you the best opportunity to experience basking sharks, natural wonders and other wildlife in the area. These trips are all based from the Isle of Coll and we visit Fingal’s Cave and the seal lagoon.
You will spend three nights on Coll, allowing you to get to know the locals a little better over a wee dram. You'll have plenty of chances for early morning and evening otter spotting, wildlife watching in the bay and taking some nice pictures.
The schedule for the trip will be adapted to suit the group on board, the wildlife present at the time and the weather. We can spend the whole time with the sharks and add in as little or as much of the other highlights as desired.
Other types of accommodation are available (B&B, Hotel) for an additional cost- please get in touch to discuss your requirements.
Please see our itinerary below and click book now to see availability.Book Now
The following itinerary is flexible in order to make the best of the weather and wildlife opportunities and this is a guideline for information only. Please also refer to the information document attached to your booking for specifics about your trip.
We will meet you at the ferry terminal on the Isle of Coll at approx 10am (depending on ferry schedule) where we will transfer you to our meeting room to be given a briefing on the trip and organise any hire equipment you need. Afterwards you can drop bags at your accomodation, then visit the shop for any last minute supplies. We will head out on the boat soon after so please be well organised.
The first day we usually head to the crystal clear waters of the islands, where there is a large seal colony. With the water only a few metres deep, the visibility excellent and white sand onto healthy reefs, it’s a stunning area. You can see more about this on our seal swimming page which we also run as a day trip from Oban. We may choose a different location if the sharks are close by.
After a good few hours here, we will spend the rest of the day looking for sharks and other wildlife. Whilst we are in the area, there are good chances of spotting minke whales, common and bottlenose dolphins and porpoises. We even have rare visitors such as orca, sunfish and leatherback turtles! In addition there are abundant seabirds including bonxies, terns, fulmars, razorbills, guillemots and shags.
Today we will fully focus on looking for sharks and wildlife, the benefit of the location is we are right at shark central. Depending on the weather we’ll cover all our favourite spots in the area searching for sharks however there are plenty of wildlife watching and snorkelling opportunities in between.
In the evenings there are a number of options:
- You can have a relaxing dinner and a drink while appreciating the view
- Take a stroll around the harbour to look for otters, seals & more wildlife
- With long summer nights you could take a longer walk to one of the west coast beaches
The third day of the trip is flexible - if you are still hungry for shark action we will head out for more! Depending on the weather we would look to add in some of the island landings today also.
We sometimes combine this with visit FIngal's Cave on the Isle of Staffa where we hope to land you depending on the swell and in calm conditions we also swim in the cave. An amazing experience!
On return from this full day you will catch the ferry back to Oban after a memorable trip. You will return to Oban late evening.
Accommodation is based at the 5* bunkhouse on the island where we stay for the duration of the peak season. It's a five minute walk from the boat and very close to the hotel bar & restaurant, cafe and shop. It is self catering, but you can buy supplies at the shop (limited opening), order packed lunches on the island and eat out for dinner. Otherwise you can self cater for the full trip if you prefer.
This facility has three bedrooms with bunk beds sleeping either 4 or 6 per room. We do try to keep the rooms to same sex but this is not always possible. There is a very large living space with lounge, kitchen and dining area which easily accommodates the whole group, 4 showers and 5 toilets.
For those who wish to have their own room, you can independently book the equally stunning Bed & Breakfast or Hotel. Costs vary depending on the room and view but based on 2 people sharing range from £40-£75 per person per night extra. We do have rooms reserved on the island during our tours so please contact us in the first instance.
- Three days shark and wildlife boat tour
- Ferry pick-up and drop-off
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides
- Hot drinks and home baking snack after snorkelling
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
- Three Nights Bunkhouse accommodation on the island (B&B/ Hotel option available for additional cost).
What's Not Included
- Equipment Hire - please see here for gear hire.
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! Sorry we’d love to be able to do that but we really believe that our trips give you the best chance of seeing sharks.
- Lunch - please bring your lunch with you for day 1. Packed lunches available on the island for day 2/3 - please pre-order.
- Travel to the meeting point on the Isle of Coll (ferry information here)