- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Overseas Tours
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Four Day Basking Shark & Wildlife Tour
Tour At A Glance
- Low impact small group guided by marine biologist
- Available August
- From £695 per person including bunkhouse accommodation
- Pick up from the ferry terminal, Isle of Coll
This tour is for people who want to maximise their time at sea and gain a fuller experience with the basking sharks. It also gives you far better chances with the weather.
You will spend three or four nights on Coll, allowing you to get to know the locals a little better over a wee dram. You'll have a few more chances for early morning and evening otter spotting, or even some late night star-gazing as the island has a dark sky designation.
The schedule for the trip will be adapted to suit the group on board and the wildlife present at the time. We can spend the whole time with the sharks or add in as little or as much of the other highlights as desired.
Please see our itinerary below and click book now to see availability.Book Now
The itinerary is flexible in order to make the best of the weather and wildlife opportunities and this is a guideline for information only. Please also refer to the information document attached to your booking for specifics about your trip.
We will meet you at the ferry terminal on the Isle of Coll at approx 10am (depending on ferry schedule) where we will transfer you to our meeting room to be given a briefing on the trip and organise any equipment you need.
Afterwards you can check into your accomodation and visit the shop for any last minute supplies.
For the tour starting 18th Aug (4 day 3 night) you will head out on the boat soon after the briefing so please be well organised.
For the tour starting 24th August (4 day 4 night) you will have some free time in the afternoon to explore the island.
The first day we usually head to the crystal clear waters of the islands where there is a large seal colony. With the water only a few metres deep, the visibility excellent and white sand onto healthy reefs, it’s a stunning area. You can see more about this on our seal swimming page which we also run as a day trip from Oban. We may choose a different location if the sharks are closeby.
After a good few hours here, we will spend the rest of the day looking for sharks and other wildlife. Whilst we are in the area, there are also good chances of spotting minke whales, common and bottlenose dolphins and porpoises. We even have rare visitors such as orca, sunfish and leatherback turtles! In addition there are abundant seabirds including bonxies, terns, fulmars, razorbills, guillemots and shags.
The next couple of days we will fully focus on looking for sharks and wildlife, the benefit of the location is we are right at shark central. Depending on the weather we’ll cover all our favourite spots in the area searching for sharks however there are plenty of wildlife watching and snorkelling opportunities in between
On the evenings there are a number of options:
- You can have a relaxing dinner and a drink while appreciating the view
- Take a stroll around the harbour to look for otters, seals & more wildlife
- With long summer nights you could take a longer walk to one of the west coast beaches
We plan to have another full day at sea so check out from your accommodation will be in the morning prior to the tour.
The last day will be flexible- if you are still hungry for shark action we will head out for more or if we haven't had a chance yet, it's an opportunity to fit in a trip to Staffa. Of course longer tours ensures there is enough time to take into account any poor weather days.
We plan to return ashore late afternoon and you will then have a short time to organise your things after departing the boat. We will then take you to the ferry terminal to catch the evening ferry back to Oban after a memorable trip.
Accommodation is based at the 5* bunkhouse on the island where we stay for the duration of the peak season. It's a five minute walk from the boat and very close to the hotel bar & restaurant, cafe and shop. It is self catering, but you can buy supplies at the shop (limited opening hours), order packed lunches on the island and eat out for dinner. Otherwise you can self cater for the full trip if you prefer.
This facility has three bedrooms with bunk beds sleeping either 4 or 6 per room. We do try to keep the rooms to same sex but this is not always possible. There is a very large living space with lounge, kitchen and dining area which easily accommodates the whole group, 4 showers and 5 toilets.
For those who wish to have their own room, you can independently book the equally stunning Bed & Breakfast or Hotel. Costs vary depending on the room and view but based on 2 people sharing range from £40-£75 per person per night extra. We do have rooms reserved on the island during our tours so please contact us in the first instance.
- Four days shark and wildlife boat tour
- Ferry pick-up & drop-off
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Knowledgeable and experienced guides
- Hot drinks and home baking snack after snorkelling
- Guided evening otter & wildlife walk
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
- Three or Four nights bunkhouse accommodation on the island (B&B/ Hotel option available for additional cost).
What's Not Included
- Equipment Hire - please see here for gear hire.
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! Sorry we’d love to be able to do that but we really do believe that our trips give you the best chance of seeing sharks.
- Lunch - please bring your lunch with you for day 1. Packed lunches available on the island for days 2-4 - please pre-order.
- Travel to the meeting point on the Isle of Coll (ferry information here)