- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Scuba Diving Tours
- Overseas Tours
- Basking Shark Research Trips
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
One Day Basking Shark Tour
Tour At A Glance
- Low impact small group guided by marine biologist
- Peak season July, August, Sept
- £195 per person (discounts for student/kids)
- Peak Season Tour starts at the ferry terminal, Isle of Coll
- Prospective shark search tours can run May, June early July with Private Groups from Oban/Tobermory
- Private Tour available from Oban or Tobemory (Mull) during peak season by arrangement.
You have the opportunity for a full day of wildlife watching and searching for basking sharks. The trips are tailored to those who want to swim but we also have people watching on board who have a great time. Everyone onboard can get involved in the science project, recording sightings and other important information about the sharks.
To make the most of the experience we suggest having some snorkel experience before you come or come on a longer tour so you have more time.
Please note - all hire gear must be organised in advance.
There have been occasions when we can’t find the sharks on a one day tour which you must prepare for – this is nature remember! If you want better odds we would suggest one of our multi-day tours, all of which have a higher success rate.
Sometimes, the sharks arrive early and we can put on extra tours. We won’t know this until a few days before the tour - click here if you would like to be added to the spring shark mailing list.
These tours book up a long way in advance so book early to avoid disappointment.Book Now
After catching the early ferry from Oban you will arrive around 9am to the Isle of Coll where we will pick you up from the ferry terminal. Please make sure you have brought lunch and visited the bathroom as we'll want to head to sea straight away.
Your hire gear will already be on board and we'll give you a briefing as to what to expect for day along with doing some paperwork.
We will search for basking sharks along the coast of the islands. During this time there is still plenty wildlife to spot and everyone can be on deck getting the most of the experience. Once we have spotted a shark, we will carefully watch it's behaviour and if it looks relaxed, the swimmers will prepare for the in-water experience with the shark following our code of conduct. Watching from the comfort of the boat is just as exciting and a little more relaxing than all the swimming effort! The trip will give you approximately 6 hours of time in which to look for and interact with sharks in the hotspot.
We'll plan to be back on Coll for around 16:30pm where we'll land you ashore and you'll have a few hours to explore the village. You will have some time for a quick look for the resident otters or some of the other wildlife that lives in the bay. You will also be able to have an early dinner at the cafe or hotel before catching the ferry back to Oban. There is a restaurant onboard the ferry if you are short of time on the island.
- Knowledgable guides
- Hot drink & home baking snack after your swim
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
- Swim/Snorkel opportunity
- Get involved in the shark research programme
- Transfer to/from Ferry Terminal
What's Not Included
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! Sorry we’d love to be able to do that but we really believe that our trips give you the best chance of seeing sharks.
- Lunch - please bring your lunch with you.
- Travel to the meeting point on the Isle of Coll (ferry information here)
- Snorkel equipment hire for snorkelling. To hire from us you must book in advance!