- One Day Tours
- Multi-Day Trips
- Overseas Tours
- Bespoke Tours and Activities
- Gift Vouchers
Puffin & Wildlife Tour
Tour At A Glance
- Low impact small group guided by marine biologist
- April-July - limited dates
- £120 per person (discounts for kids)
- Minimum numbers required for trip to run
- Pick up at Oban or Tobermory, Isle of Mull
We visit the Treshnish Isles Special Area of Conservation, a highly important area for seabirds. There can be up to 3000 puffins on the island in addition to other seabirds such as razorbills, guillemots and fulmars. There are numerous burrows where the puffins nest, and later in the season you can watch the hatched pufflings (baby puffins) poke their head out for a look. We are able to get close to the burrows (ensuring we don’t disturb the birds) and watch the adults bring fish to the burrow. A photographer's dream- trying to capture the 'fish in beak' shot is the frustrating but rewarding task. Landings will be via small dingy so a basic level of fitness is required. Wear sturdy footwear for the island landing.
Your day starts at Dunstaffnage Marina where our guides will welcome you. There's a last chance to use the bathrooms then we will give you a full briefing on the day's plan and boat safety measures.
Journey to the Puffins
It takes approximately two hours to reach the Treshnish Isles, through the Sound of Mull. On our journey we will travel through prime wildlife country where there are possibilities of seeing whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, eagles and many types of seabirds, along with our basking sharks. This area is also rich in history where we pass Duart Castle; seat of the McLean clan, sites of historic shipwrecks, lighthouses, stunning scenery and the famous waterfront of Tobermory.
Tobermory Pick Up
We have a pick up option in Tobermory, Isle of Mull where our Oban passengers have time to use the shore toilet facilities and stretch the legs whilst the new passengers joining us from here are checked in and briefed. If no passengers are joining us from Tobermory we will head straight for the Treshnish.
At The Treshnish
Once we've arrived at Lunga we'll anchor and then land you ashore with the dingy. You'll have two and a half hours ashore to explore, watch all the seabirds and wildlife. It's a great place to have lunch too!
Arrive back to Tobermory for those passengers to depart whilst the Oban passengers have a break. At 15:45 we depart to head down the Sound of Mull. There's still time for more wildlife such as porpoises, seals, seabirds and eagles on the way.
Arrive back to Oban (Dunstaffnage)
We hope you've had a great day, there's a chance to use the bathrooms and showers if you wish, otherwise safe onward travels!
- Amazing wildlife, scenery and culture
- Onboard binoculars, books and information guides
- Knowledgable guides
- Escorted low-impact tour of the seabird's island
- Small groups (max 12 passengers)
- Hot drink and home baking snack once back onboard
What's Not Included
- Weather or wildlife guarantees! The number of birds vary on a daily basis and when at sea we have chances to see all of the iconic species of the area
- Lunch - please bring your lunch with you.
- Transport to Oban or Mull - see this link to travel to Oban. For groups we can arrange buses from Edinburgh or Glasgow.